[Rear-users] ReaR and NBU 7.5 with backup stored on tape

Baldwin, John John.Baldwin at baycare.org
Thu Mar 8 16:38:46 CET 2012

Hello James.

When using  ReaR with NetBackup you only need to use your regular Full/Incremental backups.   We are using Netbackup 6.5.6 so I can give you my experiences with that.   I can tell you I tried NetBackup BMR and abandoned using it.  I hated the fact that you had to set up system resource System Resource Tree’s (SRT’s) and many Linux OS’s were not supported.  Additionally NetBackup BMR required additional backups.  The ReaR approach is much more simple and I have actually had great success doing Linux (RedHat & CentOS) bare metal restores and clones using ReaR using our  NetBackup backup data.

Our NetBackup administrator has received information from Symantec that suggested ReaR approach to do OS Linux “bare metal” restores.  They suggested that the Linux OS be restored to an alternate root disk. That is what ReaR does ☺

When you do a ReaR restore you can look at the progress in you Activity monitor just like any other NetBackup restore.

John Baldwin - Sr. UNIX Systems Administrator
Baycare Information Systems, Clearwater FL