[rear-users] Another proposal (Was: Moving this list away from Sourceforge ?)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jun 20 22:37:28 CEST 2012

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:13 AM, James M Pulver <jmp242 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> I can't really use google groups - at least all lists I've seen there
>> don't actually use e-mail and require a google account. Also, at least
>> to me, the web interface certainly isn't any better than Sourceforge's
>> - though perhaps it's because I use the Opera browser...
>
> The price is right for a gmail account...   I use (and like) gmail for
> all my internet lists and it seems consistent whether accessed though
> the phone app, the web interface, or an imap application.
>
> But, I think google groups work with other email as well.  For example:
> subscriber base when Oracle took ownership of Hudson and the code
> forked.  The messages show up in email like any other list and I see
> articles from non-google addresses.

Les, that's my experience as well. For a mailinglist type of user Google
Gorups works as expected, and for forum users it is much better than
Sourceforge !

But given the fact that we cannot import archives I have another proposal.
I registered relax-and-recover.org today with the sole purpose to move the
mailinglist to another mailman instance under our control. So my proposal
would be:

     announce at relax-and-recover.org
     users at relax-and-recover.org
     devel at relax-and-recover.org

Where the new devel mailinglist is used for all commits (both source and
website) and internal discussions. With the upcoming v1.14 release we
would like to promote Relax and Recover more publically and this may bring
more typical users that need support rather than patches.

I would still like to clean up the existing sourceforge archive and remove
all ads before importing it into the new mailman setup. And the 'new'
archive would be stored at:

     http://relax-and-recover.org/lists/

Does this sound reasonable ? Are there any concerns or objections ?