[rear-users] Restoring mdadm system to a single-disk destination fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:49:23 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Cal Sawyer <cal-s at blue-bolt.com> wrote:

> Not sure how others feel about it, but creating fstab using disklabels
> instead of device names would be very good.

Disk labels are OK as long as they are unique across the company - or
alt least across the set of disks that could possibly ever be
connected to the same machine at once.  But that constraint makes them
hard to make up and remember.

> And, well outside of ReaR's remit, i would suppose: mdmonitor is active on
> boot, so the restored system tries to identify and start non-existent array
> sets.  After disabling mdmonitor, I still find that i need to supply
> "noresume" on the grub boot line to keep boot quiet about RAID
> cheers,

I don't think ReaR should mess with that sort of thing.  It should be
a reasonable thing to do to migrate your system drive(s) from a system
on software raid to one on hardware or no raid, but move over one or
more of the software raid sets as-is, either in the copy or by
excluding them and moving the existing drives over.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com
.