[rear-users] Restoring mdadm system to a single-disk destination fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:04:55 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:

>>> As I already explained, we already fix /etc/fstab and grub.conf. It may
>>> not be sufficient, but that we don't know.
>>
>> Is that in a released version?   The current epel package won't change
>> md device references to sd? when you change the layout to not use
>> software raid.
>
> It does this for other cases, and we would like to also make it support
> the md -> sd case. That's why I said that "it may not be sufficient" for
> your case.

In this case, looking at the fs entries in the modified
disklayout.conf would tell you that fstab and grub's root= entries are
pointing to the wrong places.   I'd think that should be at least a
sanity check with a warning that the machine isn't going to boot - or
maybe show the needed substitutions and offer to do them.  In any
case, I'm looking more for user-friendliness in handling the failed
reboot scenario where you have to reboot from the iso and fix
something manually than perfection in handling automatic conversions.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com