[rear-users] Restoring mdadm system to a single-disk destination fails

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 23:22:25 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Cal at Bluebolt <cal-s at blue-bolt.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Same situation here, but i can't quite see how rear can know about manual mdX->sdaX edits in disklayout.conf without a mapping source, esp in the case of extended partitons, which is what i had referred to (inadequately) in an earlier posting.  Can use of mappings/diskxxx (sorry - away from a machine at the moment) be expanded to accomplish this?

The disklayout.conf file does contain the mount points for the
partitions, so it should be possible to figure out the fstab entries
and the root= setting for grub.

I generally don't make a special backup for conversions - just copy
the /var/lib/rear/layout/disklayout.conf to /etc/rear/ and edit it
before doing anything else in the restore runtime console, so I'd want
whatever mapping happens to be something you can change during the
restore - and frankly, I'd prefer to edit the file formats I already
understand instead of yet-another abstraction if it can't get what it
needs from the disklayout.conf file.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com