[rear-users] ERROR: Could not copy files to usb location

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jul 25 15:06:52 CEST 2012

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Cal Sawyer wrote:
>
>> Here's my USB local.conf for mkbackup use:
>>
>> OUTPUT=USB
>> BACKUP=NETFS
>> BACKUP_URL=usb:///dev/disk/by-label/REAR-000
>>
>> also edit /usr/share/rear/prep/USB/default/06_set_usb_device.sh (bug
>> report at https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/127)
>>
>> and change:
>>
>>    USB_PREFIX="rear/$(uname -n)/$(date +%Y%m%d.%H%M)"
>> to:
>>     USB_PREFIX="$(uname -n)/$(date +%Y%m%d.%H%M)"
>>
>> mkrescue may differ?
>
> Ok, that issue has been closed by mistake. I thought Gratien's comment
> meant it was fixed in the latest snapshot, but I new see that it was not.
>
> Let me change it in the master branch first :-)
>
> Sorry for the confusion...

And let's add some more confusion. The USB_PREFIX is in fact correct, we
don't want to add the various backups in the root-directory of the USB
device (as this device might be used for many more things than just rear).

What I think is going wrong is that the second part of
prep/USB/default/06_set_usb_device.sh, where NETFS_PREFIX is set to the
value of USB_PREFIX is where things are not going as planned.

(See ### Change NETFS_PREFIX to USB_PREFIX if our backup URL is on USB)

This should make sure the backup and boot-images are inside the same
directory. Maybe somewhere the backup-code has the wrong path hardcoded
somewhere ?

PS In fact I see in verify/USB/NETFS/default/54_choose_backup_archive.sh
the rear-prefix hardcoded too, so the proposed fix will conflict with the
code that lists the various backups that can be restored.