[Rear-users] Changing disk layout

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:21:26 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Jeroen Hoekx <jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be> wrote:

>> And does anyone have any quick hints on how to restore a system
>> currently on physical hardware with software RAID1 to a VMware image?
>
> The easiest way is to open /var/lib/rear/layout/disklayout.conf in the
> rescue system. Remove the ^raid lines and replace all mentions of
> /dev/md* with /dev/sd*. Then, remove the lines mentioning the second
> disk in the RAID array.
>
> When you run # rear recover , it will complain about the disk size if
> that doesn't match but should continue ok if there's enough space on
> disk.

Thanks.  If I make a special backup for this would it work to put that
in the /etc/rear/mappings/disk_devices file before starting or will it
still try to configure a raid?   Also, is there any way to get to the
layout.conf file outside of a recovery console?   In this case I'll
have a convenient VMware remote client console so it won't matter, but
in other scenarios it would be nice to be able to make changes that
you have to think about in better location.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com