[Rear-users] Recent udev changes (devtmpfs and modalias)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 18:09:17 CET 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org> wrote:

>> Where would I find the code that makes sure the NICs in the same
>> physical location get the corresponding old address?
>

> I don't think we have that kind of code. So far the NIC mapping was entirely
> based on the MAC addresses.

So the operations staff that will do the swap are expected to have a
table of the physical location of each NIC and the corresponding MAC
for the old box and the new replacement?   That's not entirely
unreasonable, but it would be nice if it could be made easier.   And I
think the way udev works in RHEL 6.x you could map the pci location to
the name,  then the name would stick to the config file if you knock
out the HWADDR or pick up the correct value and replace it.   There is
also a scheme that works with the bios names for the NICs to deal with
this specific issue, but currently only for certain Dell models.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com