[Rear-users] Recent udev changes (devtmpfs and modalias)

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Fri Jan 27 14:51:57 CET 2012

On 27 January 2012 14:19, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org> wrote:

> If you could ask the udev developers what they recommend that would be
> great. IIRC the lowest distro where we support udev is SLES9, but not sure
> any more.

I haven't asked yet because our logic worked, but it's not clean: if
we have a modalias attribute, assume we will get the MODALIAS
environment variable...

> BTW, if we find another - more portable - way to autoload all modules that
> match the existing hardware, I would be happy to hear!

I know that at least for Arch, no such rule is needed anymore as it's
built into upstream udev (80-drivers.rules). I expect the same for
other recent distributions.

I will add version checks and we'll have to test it afterwards.

Greetings,

Jeroen