[Rear-users] Recent udev changes (devtmpfs and modalias)

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Fri Jan 27 14:00:39 CET 2012

Hello,

Udev 175 needs devtmpfs on /dev. I have a patch ready to fix that.

I also receive warnings about "SYSFS{modalias}" in 00-rear.rules.

That originates in build/GNU/Linux/60_verify_and_adjust_udev.sh:
if ...
    echo 'ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*", RUN+="/bin/modprobe -bv $env{MODALIAS}"'
else
    echo 'ACTION=="add", SYSFS{modalias}=="?*", RUN+="/bin/modprobe -v
$sysfs{modalias}"'

We are checking the existence of a modalias attribute to decide which
rule we use. Nice and clean. Unfortunately, udev 167 dropped the
modalias attribute from its output, so we're now taking the second
branch, which does not work at all. The first rule works just fine,
because modalias was only dropped in the udevadm info, not for rule
matching.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/hotplug/udev.git;a=commitdiff;h=20bee04c19e49a0cef3bd7dfec9028270c46172b

I could and will ask the udev people to add modalias back, but we
can't be sure that no distribution shipped a broken udev version.

So the easiest way forward is to do a version check. Starting from
version 80, our first rule is the recommended way.

Any objections or remarks, since this is quite critical for Rear to
work on older distributions?

Jeroen