[Rear-users] Hi to the ReaR community

Domin, Pavol pavol.domin at hp.com
Thu Jan 26 08:16:15 CET 2012

Agree. After first learning about ReaR, I was excited reading about 'pluggable' design: knowing that ReaR does not yet support multipathing. I was just keen to write my own plug-ins to extend the functionality for our linux layouts. I assumed, that writing user plugins mean, placing scripts into user configurable area (like /etc/rear/share/ tree) which is than built into actual workflow. Was slightly disillusioned later, learning, that adding plugins actually mean, patching the source rpm.
We indeed resolved this by using our own custom packaging.
None-the-less, we are still excited about ReaR design and functionality, that is better than the solutions we used before (and we are really looking forward for the mainstream recover-on-multipath support).