[Rear-users] Hi to the ReaR community

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Wed Jan 25 23:43:37 CET 2012

Hi,

On 25 January 2012 13:07, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:

> I don't mind patches at all. But Jeroen already proposed patches that
> fixes this requirement (and any future similar requirement) and only a few
> paragraphs ago you asked me what's wrong with plugging extra scripts into
> Rear.

I guess that back then these patches seemed to me to add a lot of
complexity to ReaR due to their rather generic approach while PRE_*/POST_*
variables seem more KISS to my taste buds. Kind of the same about dropping
the "strict" algorithm that collects scripts in favour of a more
loosely-coupled dynamically changing self-referencing way that would indeed
allow us to change the ReaR execution plan while it runs. Also there I was
too afraid of the added complexity vs. keeping it KISS.

Maybe I am just the old project grandpa who is too conservative to like the
"new way", maybe I help to keep ReaR so simple that new users can quickly
find their way around without getting lost too much.

> I guess we have to make up our minds to what the general direction will
> be.

Even going against my own gut feeling in specific aspects I would maintain
the basic tenet that ReaR should service those who use it. Since the
project has grown a bit I would hope that we would manage to discuss major
and/or disruptive changes on this list before putting them in. And I would
keep challenging things that I perceive as adding lots of complexity, but I
am doing that everywhere not just here. Actually fighting the growth of
systemic complexity was a major point at my Velocity talk (
http://velocityconf.com/velocityeu/public/schedule/detail/21669 towards the
end).

PS: I am only babbling a lot nowadays. Those who code should do what they
think is right. And those who don't like it should code better or be happy
with it.