[Rear-users] Hi to the ReaR community

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 22:16:30 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there a plenty of rsync-with-hardlink scripts around. I guess we will be
> happy to accept patches for other backup solutions, even for several that
> basically do the same.

But there's only one rsync-with-hardlink program that keeps the backup
copy compressed and dedups matching files regardless of where they are
found without exotic filesystem support.  It makes a huge difference
in space requirements, especially when several similar systems are
backed up together.

> ReaR is made to help the users and not made to tell the user what backup
> solution to use.

I think it could be done manually with an
ssh backupserver '/path/to/BackupPC_tarCreate  options'  |tar -xf -
as a restore step in ReaR after creating the filesystems and bringing
up a network connection.
I just haven't needed it badly enough to try it yet.  It might be
slightly nicer if ReaR could bring it up to the point where backuppc's
own restore operation would work, but that would be more specialized
(would need sshd with the original authorized_keys, filesystems
mounted in the right places with tar or rsync working).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com