[Rear-users] Improving the output of the rescue boot process

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Jan 18 16:40:09 CET 2012

Hi,

I think we need to improve the default output of the rescue image,
currently udev, init and some other background services output directly to
tty1 which messes up the screen.

I would propose we do something similar as we do with Rear, create Log and
LogPrint functions and by default output to a log file. Of course we could
mention this log file during boot and as much as possible have errors
print to tty1 by checking return codes as well.

The difference between the boot process and Rear is that the boot process,
in case of problems, will not bail out :) A boot parameter could enable
verbose or debug mode during the boot process.

Currently the boot process includes

     etc/scripts/system-setup.d/00-functions

and subsequently

     /usr/share/rear/lib/global-functions.sh