[Rear-users] Recover on smaller device

BONNETOT Jean-Daniel (EXT THALES) ext.thales.jean-daniel.bonnetot at sncf.fr
Thu Sep 29 14:11:17 CEST 2011

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. My version is 1.10.
I was editing /var/lib/rear/recovery :D
I'll try with informations from another server with same hardware.

Regards,

Jean-Daniel BONNETOT

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Jeroen Hoekx [mailto:jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be]
Envoyé : jeudi 29 septembre 2011 13:58
À : Discussions about Relax & Recover
Objet : Re: [Rear-users] Recover on smaller device

Hello Jean-Daniel,

On 29 September 2011 12:52, BONNETOT Jean-Daniel (EXT THALES)
<ext.thales.jean-daniel.bonnetot at sncf.fr> wrote:

> Does anyone know how to recover on a smaller device than used for backup ?
> Rear says :
>
> ERROE: Required physical device '/dev/sda' could not be found and no suitable alternative available!

If you're using Rear 1.11, try setting USE_LAYOUT=y in local.conf. It
activates the newer, more flexible disk layout handling code.

Some documentation can be found at:
http://rear.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rear/trunk/usr/share/rear/doc/layoutman.txt?revision=710&view=markup
Restoring to a smaller disk is one of the use cases described in that
guide. It is based on the current snapshot builds, soon to be 1.12.

Note that snapshot releases have seen quite a few improvements in this area.
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/sschapiro/

With older Rear versions, you need to hand-edit the various files in
the /var/lib/rear/recovery directory.

Greetings,

Jeroen