[Rear-users] Grub2 test

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Wed Sep 21 08:05:21 CEST 2011

Hello,

On 20 September 2011 20:49, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Sep 2011, Jeroen Hoekx wrote:
>
>> The ideal solution would be to include a bootloader line in the
>> disklayout file... one day
>
> How about implementing something like this ?
>
>     http://search.cpan.org/~bryce/Linux-Bootloader-1.3/lib/Linux/Bootloader/Detect.pm

I know about this and looked into reusing its approach. It uses
strings of the MBR to detect the bootloader.

Syslinux doesn't have its name in the MBR, so we'd need to check for
other strings. We would also need to check if if it's using
mbr.bin/altmbr.bin in that case.

It's also important to determine how this would interact with our grub
code, as that one is far better than the grub-install script commonly
used. For example, we can handle a software RAID without problems at
the moment.

Greetings,

Jeroen