[Rear-users] openSuSE 12.1 / btrfs root on LVM

Hubertus A. Haniel hubba at unixcook.com
Mon Nov 28 12:31:40 CET 2011

On 28/11/2011 11:08, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 28 November 2011 11:37, Hubertus A. Haniel <hubba at unixcook.com
> <mailto:hubba at unixcook.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yes - I m doing my testing in a VMware session and I build the
>     instance with AutoYast so I have created a snapshot of the VMware
>     session and then rebuild it replacing btrfs with reiserfs so I have
>     tested it with exactly the same config but with reiser and that
>     seems to work fine.
>

> Oh, is reiserfs still supported? I thought that with openSUSE 12.x
> reiserfs became deprecated.

I believe the manual installer no longer offers it as it is more or less
depreciated but Novell are still supporting reiser until the end of SLES
11 and the environments I support still use reiser as I did not want to
switch from reiser to something else and then to btrfs but it is my
understanding from the Brainshare videos that I have seen on
opensuse.org that SLES11 SP2 will support btrfs/snapper and I will want
to do the filesystem switch then to take the benefits of filesystem
snapshots.

>     I have kept snapshots of both configs so I can switch between them
>     for testing purposes.
>

> Nice!
>

>     Unrelated to this but it may also be of interest that I have done
>     successful testing on Oracle Enterprise Linux 5.3 although a few
>     extra soft links to the RHEL/Fedora scripts are needed to make it work.
>     If it is of interest I can provide an RPM package which contain
>     these modifications.
>

> A patch against our trunk would be most useful. Alternatively the output
> of lsb_release -a might be sufficient because we map all RHEL clones to
> the same Fedora (even for RHEL) and we only need to add OEL to this
> mapping code. If you look at
> http://rear.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rear/trunk/usr/share/rear/lib/config-functions.sh?revision=743&content-type=text%2Fplain
> <http://rear.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rear/trunk/usr/share/rear/lib/config-functions.sh?revision=743&content-type=text%2Fplain> you
> will see that we need to add OEL to the list of matches there.

That is actually far easier - I have been creating soft links in my
packages for EnterpriseEnterpriseServer and EnterpriseServer as these
are the two names that I have seen being returned on OEL by lsb_release.

Best regards
Hubba