[Rear-users] rescue and backup on same iso?

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Nov 22 00:01:39 CET 2011

Hi,

On 21 November 2011 23:47, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm trying to do is make very simple way to roll out copies of a
> small master system in some remote locations where the operators may
> not have much linux experience and there may not be DHCP/NFS
> infrastructure to use a NETFS type backup.  If I use USB, can both the
> boot image and the backup go on the same device to keep it simple?
>
> Yes, this works with the latest release. Look at
http://rear.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rear/trunk/usr/share/rear/doc/configuration-examples.txt?view=markup
:

128 BACKUP_URL=usb://::
129 To backup to USB storage device, use
+NETFS=usb:///dev/disk/by-path/REAR-000+
130 or use a real device node or a specific filesystem label.
Alternatively, you
131 can specify the device using +USB_DEVICE=/dev/disk/by-path/REAR-000+.
132 +
133 If you combine this with +OUTPUT=USB+ you will end up with a bootable
USB device.

You will probably also like to use the  following feature:

621 ################ ---- custom scripts
622 #
623 # NOTE: The scripts can be defined as an array to better handly spaces
in parameters. The
624 # scripts are called like this: eval "${PRE_RECOVERY_SCRIPT[@]}"
625 # call this after rear did everything in the recover workflow.
/mnt/local refers to the recovered system
626 POST_RECOVERY_SCRIPT=

See
http://rear.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rear/trunk/usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf?view=markupfor
complete list of variables and how to use them.