[Rear-users] rescue and backup on same iso?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 23:47:40 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org> wrote:

>> Should I be able to make one bootable ISO that also holds the files to
>> restore?  On a Centos 5.7 box with rear 1.11 from EPEL, I tried
>> setting:
>>
>> OUTPUT=ISO
>> BACKUP=ISO
>>

> Sorry, but BACKUP=ISO has not yet been implemented :-( I also missed it
> already a few times... The error you see is probably some kind of a
> secondary error, could you please retest without the BACKUP=ISO setting. It
> should build an ISO image that boots up and requests you to somehow restore
> the data
> Basically it should not be too hard to create BACKUP=ISO, but it would need
> enough disk space in /tmp to buffer the entire backup AND still have enough
> space for the resulting ISO image (though you can move that elsewhere). With
> backup and output to external storage (USB) you don't need so much disk
> space and also can use incremental rsync backups.

What I'm trying to do is make very simple way to roll out copies of a
small master system in some remote locations where the operators may
not have much linux experience and there may not be DHCP/NFS
infrastructure to use a NETFS type backup.  If I use USB, can both the
boot image and the backup go on the same device to keep it simple?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com