[Rear-users] rescue and backup on same iso?

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Mon Nov 21 23:22:17 CET 2011

Hi,

On 21 November 2011 22:57, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Should I be able to make one bootable ISO that also holds the files to
> restore?  On a Centos 5.7 box with rear 1.11 from EPEL, I tried
> setting:
>
> OUTPUT=ISO
> BACKUP=ISO

Sorry, but BACKUP=ISO has not yet been implemented :-( I also missed it
already a few times... The error you see is probably some kind of a
secondary error, could you please retest without the BACKUP=ISO setting. It
should build an ISO image that boots up and requests you to somehow restore
the data

Basically it should not be too hard to create BACKUP=ISO, but it would need
enough disk space in /tmp to buffer the entire backup AND still have enough
space for the resulting ISO image (though you can move that elsewhere).
With backup and output to external storage (USB) you don't need so much
disk space and also can use incremental rsync backups.

If you would consider working on a patch feel free to ask anything you need
on this list.