[Rear-users] SF.net SVN: rear:[727] trunk/usr/share/rear/doc/Rear-release-notes.txt

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Nov 17 13:46:32 CET 2011

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, gdha at users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> The first draft of the Release Notes for 1.12.0. Please send your
> remarks ASAP as the release of 1.12.0 is coming (soon).
>
> Any blocking items? The only failing component is btrfs, but it is
> marked as experimental (so we're covered).

The remarks I have:

  - The release notes currently is the document with the most value to
    end-users looking for information. But especially the older release
    information contains data that is no longer correct. (e. NETFS_URL=)

    So I would prefer to get rid of the older release information and
    simply provide 2 chapters: one with a list of the complete
    functionality and the second, with the new functionality in this
    release.

  - I'd like to include a Rear documentation file in AsciiDoc that we can
    collaborate on. I will try to do this this evening. There we can
    include the various information that is now inside the release notes.
    (eg. configuration examples and use-cases)

  - We haven't decided what we would test before doing a new release. This
    has now come up a few times. I would propose we make a list of
    scenarios (these could match the documented use-cases) and a matrix of
    distributions vs scenarios. For each new release, these can then be
    tested and filled out in the matrix.

    From the documentation we can then refer to this matrix that after a
    release continuous to grow. One possibility is that we put the release
    version inside of the matrix indicating this release was the last one
    tested for a distribution/scenario.

    This would make it more clear what has been tested by others.

I don't want to block any pending release, however I hope we can decide on
the above and implement something pragmatic for this release, before
releasing.

Kind regards,