[Rear-users] Providing an option menu or temporary shell

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jun 27 12:25:19 CEST 2011

Hi,

One of the last bits we would like to implement is an easier workflow for
doing manual interactions so people do not have to switch shells and/or
interrupt Rear to restart it.

= LAYOUT-CODE
One of those cases is the layout-code, if an error has occured during
recreating the layout, we provide an Retry/Abort loop, allowing the user
to modify the diskrestore.sh script before retrying, or modify the
disklayout.conf after aborting and restarting Rear.

This could be improve by offering the following menu:

  1. View rear log
  2. Edit disklayout.conf (and recreate diskrestore.sh)
  3. Edit diskrestore.sh
[4. Retry diskrestore.sh (and skip already performed tasks)]
[5. Rerun rear recover]
  0. Exit Rear

Options 1, 2 and 3 return to the same menu. Options 4 and 5 only become
available when something has been modified (through 2 and 3).

This would be so much more convenient to users than documenting
the possible steps to perform, which is part of the Relax in "Relax and
Recover" ;-)

= MANUAL RESTORE
When doing a restore using Bacula (bextract) or REQUESTRESTORE, the user
has to switch to another shell in order to perform some commands to
initiate a restore.

There are a few problems with this:

  - an example command to use is displayed on the default console, so not
    easy to perform

  - there is a risk the user (after restoring) does not perform the last
    step, restoring the boot-loader, which is rather crucial

  - there is no way to simplify this for users through stuffing the history
    with useful commands

So my solution to this would be to invoke a temporary shell during rear's
run, stuff the history of that shell with useful commands, and on exit
provide a prompt for the user to continue with Rear's workflows.

If this would exist, the documentation would be easier as we do not have
to warn the user several times that they have to return to a previous
tty to continue the process.

Does everyone agree with this proposal ?

Kind regards,