[Rear-users] SF.net SVN: rear:[373] trunk/usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf

Stefan Semmelroggen stefan at semmelroggen.de
Wed Jun 22 10:42:31 CEST 2011

Hi Jeroen,

Am 22.06.2011 09:56, schrieb Jeroen Hoekx:
> It should not cause rear to fail. It's just a warning. If rear fails,
> the cause is probably something else?

my bad, sorry. You are right of course. ReaR did not fail. It was just a
warning.

> I think it's actually the most useful feature in ReaR for ordinary
> Linux users. I've used it quite a few times already as an easy way to
> fix my system after something I did broke it. Far easier than
> searching for a usb stick or a cd-rw with a live image on it...

Thats true, but I'm still not quite comfortable with ReaR changing the
system.

The problem I see is that some distros keep all kernel versions and
don't only keep the latest two versions. Which means that the boot
partition grows over time. So if you use a minimal boot patition (like
on VMs where storage is expensive) with just enough space to accomodate
a couple of kernel updates, ReaR could fill up the remaining space with
just a single rescue image. This essentially prevents future kernel
updates.

This problem might not be very common, but still ...

Maybe you could add another warning if there is less space on /boot then
10 MB or something like that.

Bye,
Stefan ...