[Rear-users] bash style

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jun 21 23:31:43 CEST 2011

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> congratulations, you convinced me!

Can I get a certificate of that ? Or a t-shirt ;-)

> Am 19.06.2011 13:48, schrieb Dag Wieers:
>> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
>>
>>> Even though it is against my personal taste I am ready to go over that
>>> and use [
>>> over test, IF the majority of the list prefers it that way.
>>>
>>> Also, please use tabs and not spaces.
>>
>> Once again this is something Jeroen and I see differently, the use of
>> tabs is very irritating, especially if you want to do proper and
>> consistent indentation. I would advise to use the following vim options:
>>
>>     set tabstop=4
>>     set shiftwidth=4
>>     set expandtab
>>     set listchars=tab:»·,trail:·
>>     set list
>
> OK, I am also ready to go with this. With vim I actually have one
> remaining problem: When I paste somthing indented with the mouse lines
> get stupidly indented and look like a staircase. Apparently when pasting
> with the mouse each indent adds up to the previous indent. Any ideas?

Good question, I have seen this problem when eg. the previous line is
commented and pasting information would add comments to the pasted text
automatically.

There is a mode you can enable for copy&pasting in vim, but I always have
to look it up in the online help myself :-/ In vim do ':h paste' and
you'll see how it works:

     :set paste
     :set nopaste

There's also a pastetoggle option to bind to a key of your choice if
you're into that (I try to not depend on too much customization myself
because I do not always work on systems with users I control myself
completely).

> PS: Feel free to commit your long-waiting convert-all-tab-to-spaces
> patch... :-)

Let me first tick this of our wishlist ;-)

Thanks !