[Rear-users] SF.net SVN: rear:[582] trunk/usr

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Sun Jun 19 14:14:16 CEST 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> Do we really want rear help and rear -v help to be different? I am not sure that
> this is typical behaviour for Unix software, rather the opposite. I guess that
> most users won't even get the idea to do rear -v help (I would not) because
> mostly one does only rear --help in any case.

I agree with you, but if the default output is riddled with workflows that
a normal user would not need, I wonder if it makes sense to make the use
of the program more difficult by default.

Even the manual only documented (and still documents) the basic workflows.

The original idea was to remove the description from the 'advanced'
workflows like mkdeb, mkdist, mkrpm, mktar, mkvendorrpm, savelayout,
shell, udev so that they would not be shown, but that would mean some
people may never find out about these.

So we decided the next best option is to allow the help to be 'more'
verbose too. I think it's a good trade-off between ease-of-use and
advanced functionality.