[Rear-users] Getting rid of mkvendorrpm

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Jun 14 17:16:58 CEST 2011

Hi,

Am 13.06.2011 18:25, schrieb Dag Wieers:
> Hi,
>
> The TODO list contains: "Can we drop the mkvendorrpm workflow?"
>
> So what is the reason for having mkrpm and mkvendorrpm ?

purely historic. When ReaR got accepted into Fedora they did not want to
see any non-Fedora stuff in the SPEC file. Hence the creation of a
mkvendorrpm workflow that uses OS_VENDOR dependant SPEC files instead of
the generic one in lib/.

In 2006 I thought that we can use a simple SPEC file for all RPM distros
and use the same RPM for all. I quickly learned the error of that plan
and started to expand the SPEC file with all those if clauses. And since
we build on OBS everything is built on the target OS in any case.

> Both should lead to the same RPM basically, so I don't see why we have
> both, and what the intention is for having both. If there is no reason
> (anymore), I would remove the mkvendorrpm and, where needed, improve the
> mkrpm workflow to add functionality that is needed.

Please talk to Gratien to see if we can merge the Fedora specifics into
the generic SPEC file in order to get rid of the Fedora SPEC file and
the mkvendorrpm workflow.