[Rear-users] Rear at LinuxCon Prague

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Jul 4 12:29:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011, Gratien D'haese wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011 17:34:28 +0200 (CEST), Dag Wieers wrote:
>> I wanted to
> let you know I am proposing a talk about Rear at LinuxCon
>> Prague. The
> presentation would be about:
>>
>> - General overview
>> - Typical use-cases
> (both for DR and migration)
>> - Design and implementation
>> - How to extend
> Rear
>>
>> I hope to create a presentation that can be extended in the
> future by
>> others as well.
>
> Good luck with the proposal and if you need
> my slidedeck of FOSDEM just
> send me a mail (btw the talk at FOSDEM is
> online at youtube - see FOSDEM channel).
>
> The how to extend rear sounds
> very interesting.

Here is the information I sent in. I didn't work on the slides yet, but
have a clear view of what I would like to present (a strong focus on
use-cases and practical merits).

----
Title: Rear: Disaster recovery and system migration tool

Relax and Recover (Rear) is straight-forward and comprehensive Disaster
Recovery tool. Its flexible framework makes it easy to integrate with
existing infrastructure (eg. backup, PXE, monitoring) and adapt to
existing Enterprise processes (eg. tape roulation).

This presentation first introduces the Rear solution, details various
use-cases that appeal to system administrators, like supporting
(disconnected) branch offices, doing automated DR provisioning or
executing server migrations (P2V, V2V, ...). We will highlight these with
real scenario's and pros/cons. A second part will quickly touch on the
design of the tool's framework and the ease of extending it for custom use
and integration.

The presentation targets a technical audience, but doesn't require much
experience with Disaster Recovery concepts.

The past 6 months Rear has had a dense development cycle and included
a myriad of new features and capabilities that makes it worthwhile to
start promoting those to a wider audience.
----

Kind regards,