[Rear-users] Have the "rear recover" log file at a save place

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Dec 2 11:38:42 CET 2011

Hello,

I use ReaR version 1.10.0 and I would like to ask for a feature.

I have in /etc/rear/local.conf
OUTPUT=ISO
BACKUP=NETFS
NETFS_URL=nfs://<server>/<path>

At the end of "rear mkbackup" the ISO and the log file are copied

It is very good to have all the precious data automatically
at the same save place where also the backup.tar.gz is.

But when I run "rear recover" I have /tmp/rear-<hostname>.log
only in the ReaR recovery system but this log file is not saved
to a persistent storage place so that after the ReaR recovery system
had finished the log file of the "rear recover" is lost.

This makes it almost impossible to debug issue during "rear recover"
in particular when one likes to debug a "rear recover" issue which
is only reported by someone else because the ReaR recovery system has
usually already finished before he reports his "rear recover" issue.

Therefore I suggest to save the "rear recover" log file to a
persistent storage place to have it available any time later.

By default "rear recover" should at least try to save its log file
in any case to /mnt/local/tmp/rear-<date>T<time>.log
But this is no reliable working solution e.g. when "rear recover" fails
in an early stage where no filesystem exists at /mnt/local

For "BACKUP=NETFS" the "rear recover" log file should additionally
be saved to the NETFS_URL to have all precious data automatically
at the same save place where the backup.tar.gz is.

To make sure a "rear recover" log file exists at the NETFS_URL
in any case even if "rear recover" breaks at a random stage,
it is perhaps best to write the "rear recover" log directly
to a file at NETFS_URL as soon as it was mounted (instead of
copying it at the end just before "rear recover" finishes).

For other BACKUP methods (via 3rd party backup software)
I don't know how to how to save the "rear recover" log file
to a persistent storage place.

What do you think?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner