[Rear-users] converting ReaR ISO Files with isohybrid

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Thu Dec 1 11:02:23 CET 2011

Hello,

On Nov 30 16:21 Schlomo Schapiro wrote (excerpt):
> On 30 November 2011 15:57, Joerg Schum <joerg.schum at gmx.de> wrote:
>> With isohybrid you can convert the "OUTPUT=ISO" image  to an image that
>> can boot on CD and USB stick as well.
>>
>> to do this you have to do the following step:
>>
>> # /usr/bin/isohybrid /tmp/rear-<hostname>.iso
>>
>> you can the image now burn on a cd or write it to a USB Stick to boot
>> from it.
>
> That is really cool!
>
> Question to all: Should we add this to ReaR so that it will always call
> isohybrid (if available) on the ISO image? I gather that I does not hurt
> the ISO booting but only adds support for image booting.

This is also my understanding and therefore I use isohybrid by default
for the image which is made by RecoveryImage (a.k.a. rear-SUSE).

At least for openSUSE isohybrid should be available in any case because
it belongs to the syslinux RPM and syslinux is required by the rear RPM.

At least for me calling isohybrid without options works
but isohybrid has some options:
# isohybrid -help
Usage: /usr/bin/isohybrid [options] filename.iso
   -h          Number of default geometry heads
   -s          Number of default geometry sectors
   -entry      Specify partition entry number (1-4)
   -offset     Specify partition offset (default 0)
   -type       Specify partition type (default 0x17)
   -id         Specify MBR ID (default random)
   -forcehd0   Always assume we are loaded as disk ID 0
   -ctrlhd0    Assume disk ID 0 if the Ctrl key is pressed
   -partok     Allow booting from within a partition
and I found reports that '-partok' might be needed in some
cases (but for me '-partok' did not work well) but I failed
to find meaningful documentation about the isohybrid options.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner