[Rear-users] Stuck - recovery system not booting

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Wed Aug 24 11:18:41 CEST 2011

Thanks for the logs, they look OK...

On 24 August 2011 10:36, fuzzy_4711 <fuzzy_4711 at gmx.de> wrote:

>> Can you tell us the exact place where the boot process gets stuck
>> (grub, initrd, boot)?
> I would, if I could. What I am seeing at boot time are the bios messages
> and then I do have a black screen with a blinking cursor. No Info at
> all, nothing. Do you have a clue what state I am in? Please tell me how
> to gather this info.

Grub failure, I would guess, or something wrong with the boot order.

Rear prints this:
Your system.map contains a reference to a disk by UUID, which does
not work at the moment. I will copy the file to device.map.rear and try
to autoprobe the correct device. If this fails you might have to manually
reinstall your bootloader'

This means someone else has had this problem before, maybe Schlomo
know the reason this doesn't work.

But on the other hand, the grub installation tells it was OK.

So the first thing I would try is to double check the boot order in the bios.

If that looks all correct, the next thing I would try is to use the
generic grub code in ReaR instead of the Suse specific one and see if
that gets you any further. This means removing
finalize/SUSE_LINUX/20_run_mkbootloader.sh and linking to
finalize/Fedora/i386/20_install_grub.sh

Why that could work is because it does not care about by-id mappings...
If it still fails, we need Dag's infinite source of
over-the-years-collected-wisdom :-)

Greetings,

Jeroen