[Rear-users] Stuck - recovery system not booting

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Wed Aug 24 08:22:14 CEST 2011

Hello,

On 24 August 2011 01:11, fuzzy_4711 <fuzzy_4711 at gmx.de> wrote:

>> My guess is there is something wrong with LUKS-Encryption and the disk
>> could not be decrypted. When I do a "shutdown -r now" after recovery or
>> init 6, I am not prompted for the LUKS password after restart. So I
>> guess the module for decrypting the disk is not provided from recovery
>> scripts.
>>
>> Could this be the reason?
>
> I could be totally wrong with that assumption, but take a look here:
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dm-crypt
> There is stated the LUKS-Header is containing the UUID of the crypted
> partition in Hex-Format starting from offset #168.
>
> This would mean, even you are saving LUKS-Headers and restore them, the
> UUID of the Header-Entry must be changed also if you restore to a
> different disk than the original one.
>
> If this is the case, the scripts could get the uuid of the /boot
> partition, write it in rescue/ and compare it at recovery.
>
> This should be always the case with dm-crypt/LUKS. Am I talking BS?

We're not restoring the LUKS header, we're recreating it, so all this
will be correct.

Can you tell us the exact place where the boot process gets stuck
(grub, initrd, boot)?

In your log file, I can see:
2011-07-25 07:43:16 Including finalize/default/88_check_for_mount_by_id.sh
scsi_id: invalid option -- 'n'

We currently don't map any disk by-id mappings in layout. I could add
it to the layout information...

Also the log file of a # rear -D recover would be useful to see all
in- and output. Maybe /etc/fstab would be useful too.

Greetings,

Jeroen