[Rear-users] Stuck - recovery system not booting

fuzzy_4711 fuzzy_4711 at gmx.de
Wed Aug 24 01:11:17 CEST 2011

> My guess is there is something wrong with LUKS-Encryption and the disk
> could not be decrypted. When I do a "shutdown -r now" after recovery or
> init 6, I am not prompted for the LUKS password after restart. So I
> guess the module for decrypting the disk is not provided from recovery
> scripts.
>
> Could this be the reason?

I could be totally wrong with that assumption, but take a look here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dm-crypt
There is stated the LUKS-Header is containing the UUID of the crypted
partition in Hex-Format starting from offset #168.

This would mean, even you are saving LUKS-Headers and restore them, the
UUID of the Header-Entry must be changed also if you restore to a
different disk than the original one.

If this is the case, the scripts could get the uuid of the /boot
partition, write it in rescue/ and compare it at recovery.

This should be always the case with dm-crypt/LUKS. Am I talking BS?

Thanks.
- fuz