[Rear-users] Stuck - recovery system not booting

fuzzy_4711 fuzzy_4711 at gmx.de
Wed Aug 24 00:35:30 CEST 2011

Hi.

> The change disk ID should be fixed in the fstab and possibly also in your GRUB
> configuration (and you might need to run GRUB again).
grub.conf:
setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 --force-lba (hd0,0) (hd0,0)
Which seems to be correct, since this box only got one hard disk.

> try booting the box without the boot splash stuff. First you need to understand
> if your boot fails in
> * the GRUB stage
> * the initrd stage
> * after the initrd stage
I guess, the box is not even entering the grub stage. Also, if I do
enter "grub" from commandline, I will get a "bus error".

My guess is there is something wrong with LUKS-Encryption and the disk
could not be decrypted. When I do a "shutdown -r now" after recovery or
init 6, I am not prompted for the LUKS password after restart. So I
guess the module for decrypting the disk is not provided from recovery
scripts.

Could this be the reason?

Thanks.
-fuz