[Rear-users] Recovery to a smaller disk

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Wed Aug 10 12:18:20 CEST 2011

Hello Marcella,

On 10 August 2011 11:31,  <Marcella.Voigtlaender at o2.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying a P2V of a Redhat 5.5. using rear. The problem is that the disk
> in my virtual machine is smaller than the original harddisk. When I try a
> 'rear recover' the message is: "Warning: A disk mapping file shas been
> found. But the size of /dev/sda ist too small for the contents of
> /dev/cciss/c0d0." I have got about 8 GB of data, and the virtual disk is 30
> GB, it should fit. Am I missing something ? Is there a way around this issue
> ?

Did you try with USE_LAYOUT=y in your local.conf?

That option, now enabled by default in the snapshots, should provide
you with some way to do it. It guides you through the layout creation
process if any anomalies are detected. It currently resizes partitions
used by LVM and software raid. It does not currently resize normal
partitions, but that is open for discussion.

Greetings,

Jeroen