[Rear-users] issue with recovering to environment with smaller disk size,

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Wed Aug 3 19:39:58 CEST 2011

Hi Jozef,

On 3 August 2011 17:00, Jozef Gmuca <j.gmuca at gmail.com> wrote:
> but i got
> to a point where i needed to recover to a machine with smaller disk size.
> And of course i got error message about sda being smaller and therefore the
> recovery could not continue. Has anyone documented the path i should follow
> if i would like to recover to a smaller disks? Can you please direct me to a
> link or a config file or just give me short description how to continue in
> such a case?

First of all: try to use a snapshot release for this type of problem.
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/sschapiro/

I'm writing documentation on the new features, but it's not complete
or even covers your topics yet.

The snapshots are much smarter about resizing and will reduce the
partition sizes to fit the disk, but only for LVM and RAID partitions,
not normal filesystems, but that can be changed if anyone has strong
opinions about it.

Anyway, if your logical volumes still fit on the disk, no problems are
to be expected. In the other case, you have two choices:
- either edit the disklayout.conf file when asked to verify it (it's
quite readable, documentation forthcoming),
- or just let Rear continue and when asked, edit the size of the last one

The first choice is generally the better option, as there are still
some problems/improvements known with the second approach.

If you find yourself stuck in a specific situation, just ask the list!

Greetings,

Jeroen