[Rear-users] Separating output and backup

Jeroen Hoekx jeroen.hoekx at hamok.be
Thu Apr 7 09:46:53 CEST 2011

Hello Schlomo,

On 7 April 2011 09:29, Schlomo Schapiro <schlomo at schapiro.org> wrote:

> This is really great news! Do you also make sure that users upgrading
> from the current release to the next release will be supported?
>
> IMHO this means that if I had a running NETFS setup and upgrade to your
> new code it will continue to run and use the same locations for the
> backup data.

Everything should still work for old users, because if the OUTPUT*
variables are not set, they will be populated from the equivalent
NETFS*. However, I have not tested it for USB yet. That's why I keep
everything separate.

>> We also tested the OBDR+backup on same tape code (with mkbackup). Dag
>> will push all our fixes/improvements.
>
> Great! When can we expect the commits? I am planning a release on
> Wednesday (mainly for the XEN PV support which I need for work) and
> would like the other stuff to be also (somewhat) stable...

I don't have the changes locally, so Dag has to extract them from our
internal branch. He was still busy testing when I returned home
yesterday.

> BTW, looking at
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~jeroen-hoekx/+junk/rear-separate/revision/302#usr/share/rear/prep/NETFS/default/15_determine_output_prefix.sh
> I was wondering why not to simply set the OUTPUT_PREFIX to $(uname -n)
> in default.conf, same like NETFS_PREFIX? That way you would not need
> this script and have a sane default in OUTPUT_PREFIX (which is the
> purpose of of default.conf, give every variable a sane default).

That would break backwards compatibility. If we use a value in
default.conf, we don't know if this is explicitly set by the user or
the default. If the user changed NETFS_PREFIX, we need the empty
OUTPUT_PREFIX to determine that case, otherwise it would not change to
value it used to in previous versions of ReaR.

We care about backcompat :-)

> Would you also care to adapt lib/dump-workflow.sh to show all the new
> variables?

Will do that...

Greetings,

Jeroen