[Rear-users] Separating output and backup

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Thu Apr 7 09:29:50 CEST 2011

Hi Jeroen,

> More work on this today. Renamed ISO_URL to OUTPUT_URL and changed all
> NETFS_PREFIX mentions into OUTPUT_PREFIX. Tested it!

This is really great news! Do you also make sure that users upgrading
from the current release to the next release will be supported?

IMHO this means that if I had a running NETFS setup and upgrade to your
new code it will continue to run and use the same locations for the
backup data.

> We also tested the OBDR+backup on same tape code (with mkbackup). Dag
> will push all our fixes/improvements.

Great! When can we expect the commits? I am planning a release on
Wednesday (mainly for the XEN PV support which I need for work) and
would like the other stuff to be also (somewhat) stable...

BTW, looking at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~jeroen-hoekx/+junk/rear-separate/revision/302#usr/share/rear/prep/NETFS/default/15_determine_output_prefix.sh
I was wondering why not to simply set the OUTPUT_PREFIX to $(uname -n)
in default.conf, same like NETFS_PREFIX? That way you would not need
this script and have a sane default in OUTPUT_PREFIX (which is the
purpose of of default.conf, give every variable a sane default).

Would you also care to adapt lib/dump-workflow.sh to show all the new
variables?