[Rear-users] Calculating tar speed on tapes

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Sep 29 16:46:07 CEST 2010

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

>>> It is also used for the tar-to-file version. But only for the total
>>> calculation at the end. It doesn't offer a solution for the progress
>>> during backup. Which we don't have for tape anyway :-(
>>
>> What about using tar -R and reading the output with the block numbers?
>> That way one would get the runtime info both for tar-to-file and
>> tar-to-tape.
>>
>> I would like to see something moving to give a feedback that ReaR is
>> still working and not stuck.
>>
>> Of course, if everybody else does not need to see something move then I
>> wouldn't insist on it.
>
> I will look into it :-)

OK, I have a working implementation, but to make it (more) useful than how
it was written before I show the average transfer speed because imagine
you are copying a large file, then there is no update in the output but
time does progress and you get zero transfer speed. An average
transfer speed is much more useful.

However I wouldn't mind also seeing the transfer speed based on the last
minute or so. But for now I leave it like this. Once it has been tested
for restores as well I will send a new patch.