[Rear-users] Calculating tar speed on tapes

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Mon Sep 27 18:02:35 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 27.09.2010 13:50, schrieb Dag Wieers:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:
>
>> could you maybe post your solution to the list for discussion? Maybe
>> this is in general a good idea to post patches to the list for
>> discussion, for example func works that way.
>>
>> If your tar solution counts the data after the gzip, why could it not
>> also be used for the tar-to-file version?
>
> It is also used for the tar-to-file version. But only for the total
> calculation at the end. It doesn't offer a solution for the progress
> during backup. Which we don't have for tape anyway :-(

What about using tar -R and reading the output with the block numbers?
That way one would get the runtime info both for tar-to-file and
tar-to-tape.

I would like to see something moving to give a feedback that ReaR is
still working and not stuck.

Of course, if everybody else does not need to see something move then I
wouldn't insist on it.

PS: