[Rear-users] TTY output problems

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Sep 27 11:37:40 CEST 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if other people see output problems when running Rear
(from time to time) ? It doesn't always happen.

What I see is that a progress 'character' (\ | / or -) is left behind on
the same position but one line below.

     Copy program files & libraries  OK
     Copy kernel modules  OK         /
     Checking udev   OK

It seems to be caused by a timing issue and the fact a sub-process is used
for displaying the progress characters. The only solution I found was
instead of using backspace (\b), is by using terminal 'position save' and
'position restore' escape sequences (\e7 and \e8).

I have a patch for this, but I am not sure whether such a change is
acceptable ? The change also simplifies the _input-output-functions.sh
library.