[Rear-users] problem loading network driver with firmware

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Sun Oct 31 17:30:48 CET 2010

Hi,

On 31/10/10 10:33, Joerg Schum wrote:
> What is going on there? are there a generally timing problem?

just a side note, we already had some timing issues with udev. ReaR replaces
some SLES scripts with a link to /bin/true (e.g. hwup), see the default skel. In
debug mode you for sure will have different timings.

I would suggest the following approach to figure out what is going on:

* Boot the machine into a simple shell with init=/bin/bash on the kernel command
line (I guess the bnx2 driver is not part of your initrd).
* Mount /sys and /proc and the required filesystems
* Manually load the bnx2 driver and see what is going on.
* Repeat till you figure out what needs to be done to reliably load the driver.

Sorry, don't have any better idea, that is what I would be trying myself in you
situation.

PS: Else, google is your friend and foe. It for sure also kills a lot of time.