[Rear-users] problem loading network driver with firmware

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Wed Oct 27 15:06:04 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 27.10.2010 12:37, schrieb Joerg Schum:
> ahhhh, i have found the point where you load the driver ... :-)
> in the /etc/udev/rules.d/00-rear.rules   you do a modprobe ...
>
> I am not familiar with udev, but isn't it so, that if the 1'st rule
> matches then the others aren't read?
>
> The normal way, the firmware would load, was in
> /lib/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules
> there was an entry
>
> ------------snipin--------
> # firmware class requests
> SUBSYSTEM=="firmware", ACTION=="add", RUN+="firmware.sh"
>
> the script 'firmware.sh' was located in /lib/udev and is also available
> in the ISO. This should load the firmware.

Did you try to run this script manually to load the firmware? Maybe it
is an ordering issue, try to add this firmware line before the modprobe
line of 00-rear.rules.

AFAIK all lines of the udev files are used, unless you have something
like GOTO in it that jumps somewhere else.

If you find a solution a patch would be appreciated, I don't have
suitable hardware to test.