[Rear-users] P2V and including modules in the initrd

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Oct 1 09:29:07 CEST 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Gratien D'haese wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:35:38 +0200 (CEST), Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Currently ReaR uses udev to create a list of modules it requires for
>> its initrd in order to restore (possibly using the network). This works
>> fine if you are restoring to exactly the same hardware, but as soon as you
>> are restoring to different hardware, it's possible your drivers are not
>> part of the initrd, and restoring fails.
>>
>> So we really prefer that all modules are part of the initrd, even if this
>> is not always necessary. (Yes, in a disaster you don't want this to be an
>> issue ;-))
>>
>> So, would it be acceptable to drop the udev-logic and replace it by a
> much
>> more simple include all storage and network drivers and their
>> dependencies ? Might get you an initrd that is 40MB larger though.
>
> When we get serious about P2V or whatever combination we probably need to
> switch to a more heavy modules copy phase into our initrd.

When do we get serious about P2V ?

> The question is however: should this be a standard behaviour? Probably
> not, but a switch to rear might come to rescue here...

Well, I first thought that might have been an option. But if disaster
strike, how would you know in advance whether you can restore to an
identical machine, or to a different one ?

So while the cost may be 40MB for the initrd, the cost doesn't weigh up
for the gain in flexibility at the moment you need to relax and
recover. (Adding all network and storage modules probably fits into the
relax part)