[Rear-users] BACULA support added to ReaR

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Dec 30 14:06:20 CET 2010

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> Am 29.12.2010 12:22, schrieb Dag Wieers:
>> PS Since BACULA and BEXTRACT are restore strategies, and not backup
>> strategies, the configuration BACKUP=BACULA or BACKUP=BEXTRACT are
>> confusing and incorrect as Rear does not initiate a backup.
>
> Actually BACKUP stands for "backup/restore solution used on this host".
> Some backup solutions are ReaR internal, some are external. Some can be
> instrumented by ReaR for backup purposes (e.g. ReaR uses TSM to store
> the RESULT_FILES), some are only relevant for the restore and some
> cannot be instrumented by ReaR whatsoever, e.g. REQUEST_RESTORE (the
> default :-) ).
>
> Or do you think we should split it into BACKUP= and RESTORE= to allow
> some kind of difference between backup and restore? Do you have a use
> case for such a split?

No :) It was mostly an observation. I don't think we necessarily need to
change it, but I can imagine some people may be confused and expect ReaR
to initiate a Bacula backup. Maybe METHOD= or FACILITY= would be a better
choice, but considering the impact such a change has on existing
installation I doubt we want to change this.

However, maybe we should have a list of items that we may want to change
with a major new version which are known to break on different levels
anyway.