[Rear-users] BACULA support added to ReaR

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Wed Dec 29 15:53:56 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 29.12.2010 12:22, schrieb Dag Wieers:
> PS Since BACULA and BEXTRACT are restore strategies, and not backup
> strategies, the configuration BACKUP=BACULA or BACKUP=BEXTRACT are
> confusing and incorrect as Rear does not initiate a backup.

Actually BACKUP stands for "backup/restore solution used on this host".
Some backup solutions are ReaR internal, some are external. Some can be
instrumented by ReaR for backup purposes (e.g. ReaR uses TSM to store
the RESULT_FILES), some are only relevant for the restore and some
cannot be instrumented by ReaR whatsoever, e.g. REQUEST_RESTORE (the
default :-) ).

Or do you think we should split it into BACKUP= and RESTORE= to allow
some kind of difference between backup and restore? Do you have a use
case for such a split?

Or would you rather like BACKUP= to be replaced by RESTORE= and have the
backup side which some methods contain to be the obvious prerequisite
for a successful restore? If so, please do a survey on the list and
submit a patch.