[Rear-users] BACULA support added to ReaR

Gratien D'haese gratien.dhaese at it3.be
Wed Dec 15 12:28:28 CET 2010

Thanks for the patch and I had a look into it.
My first impression is to
merge the BACKUP method BACULA and BEXTRACT into BACULA.
The bextract
method could be triggered by the presence of BEXTRACT_VOL and BEXTRACT_MP
variables
which must be defined in the /etc/rear/local.conf (I guess).
For
the rest I don't see much difference, or am I wrong?

Currently, in the
mkrescue or mkbackup work-flow we do not check the existence of a
backup
made by bacula. Therefore, I would keep it together.
What are your
thoughts?

best regards,
Gratien

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:56:44 -0600,
"Stephens, Bill {PBSG}" wrote:
> I created a new BACULA patch for restoring
using bextract. I felt the
> requirement differences for a bacula vs
bextract were significant enough to
> justify it, and it made coding it
easier. Although they're part of the
> same product, a Bacula restore
assumes there is an external server that
> you'll need to connect to that
has a mysql database, backup director,
> storage director, etc. For a
bextract the assumption is that the Bacula
> infrastructre either doesn't
exist or its on the same machine. The patches
> I've attached are based on
the BACULA code already submitted, and assume
> the backup is on a local
removable drive, but could be expanded to tape.
> In our case it's an
RDX

(http://www.tandbergdata.com/emea/index.cfm/products/removable-disk/rdx-quikstor/)

drive that's oem'd by HP and Dell.