[Rear-users] Rear development questions

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Aug 31 17:26:43 CEST 2010

Hi,

Am 31.08.2010 16:54, schrieb Dag Wieers:
> Besides, we think there is even a use-case to provide the OUTPUT and/or
> BACKUP variable through the commandline. That would allow us to do:
>
>      rear recover BACKUP=BACULA
> or
>      rear recover BACKUP=NETFS
>
> Just like one may want to do:
>
>      rear mkrescue OUTPUT=ISO
> or
>      rear mkrescue OUTPUT=OBDR

Could you please elaborate on the use case where you need to specify
this on the command line? We see ReaR as something which you configure
once for a given server and then you just use it to update the boot (and
backup) media on a regular base. The configuration usually does not
change during the lifetime of a server (without external change factors
like a new backup software).

Also, please keep in mind that ReaR needs to be fool-proof and as
automagic as possible. IMHO having BACKUP= and OUTPUT= on the command
line is not really in line with this.

Technically spoken it would be probably very easy to use some shell
magic like ${OUTPUT:=ISO} in default.conf to allow

BACKUP=NETFS rear mkbackup

without changing anything else in ReaR. But please, please keep in mind
that then you need to call also

BACKUP=NETFS rear recovery

as otherwise ReaR would not know what to do!! That is another reason why
we assume that you configure ReaR in the local.conf|site.conf files and
don't try to change it on the command line.

Again, patches that do not destroy ReaR for others but help you will be
accepted as long as we can understand what they do.