[Rear-users] Rear development questions

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Tue Aug 31 00:01:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

about the other point...

The main idea behind ReaR is that with the "rear mkrescue" or "rear mkbackup"
you also commit to how the restore will happen. ATM there is nothing in ReaR
that would allow you to boot from a single boot media and then choose the
recovery method. The whole point of ReaR is to be fool-proof once the recovery
image has been created.

So, to go with the ReaR design you would need to create 2 different boot media.
One for OBDR recovery (probably located on tape :-) ) and the other one for
Bacula recovery, maybe located on PXE (for example).

Of course you could do a little trick and put into local.conf or site.conf some
Bash code to determine which settings to activate depending on some external
factors, e.g.

if <tape-checking-command> ; then
	BACKUP=TAPE
	OUTPUT=OBDR
else
	BACKUP=BACULA
	OUTPUT=PXE
fi

That is the beauty of having Bash scripts as config files :-)

In theory you could also pull all that into the rescue system as ReaR in the
rescue system will configure itself exactly as the regular ReaR... So if you
hard-code (COPY_AS_IS...) the Bacula client into your rescue image then it will
always be there even if you boot from tape...

But, IMHO this is really user customization and usage and not part of a ReaR
distribution.

HTH,
Schlomo