[Rear-users] Rear development questions

Schlomo Schapiro schlomo at schapiro.org
Mon Aug 30 23:56:45 CEST 2010

Hi,

design questions...

IMHO (really, only my personal opinion), OBDR is always a package of ISO+backup
on tape. I would think that if somebody would want to restore not from tape that
then they would not really want to use a tape to just boot a small ISO image.
Seems like a huge waste.

I actually would prefer if OBDR would integrate into the "rear mkbackup"
workflow because that is what it is doing and I believe that it should be
possible to put the OBDR stuff into ReaR in such a way that it will be enabled
by saying

OUTPUT=OBDR
BACKUP=OBDR

or something like that.

Possibly one could say

OUTPUT=OBDR
BACKUP=TAPE

in case it should be possible to put the backup on tape but have the boot media
elsewhere (e.g. OUTPUT=ISO).

In any case, this would really match the original ReaR design philosophy...

Maybe you can tell us why you need a separate workflow for OBDR?