[Rear-users] Keyboard problems using HP iLO and Rear

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Aug 30 19:55:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

I reported before that we experienced keyboard problems. Those problems
appear to be caused by iLO. What happens is that Rear correctly sets the
keyboard of the original host, but iLO rewrites keyboard scancodes, I
suspect from Windows to US keyboard.

If the keyboard is set to Belgian keyboard, you end up with a very weird
keyboard. Some characters cannot even be produced. The solution here is
very simple, reset the keyboard to US mapping (as most people with
non-US layouts at least have an understanding where characters are
located on a US keyboard).

Currently Rear already provides the loadkeys program, but no additional
keyboard mappings. If the following mapping is provided:

 	/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/defkeymap.map.gz

inside the Rear initrd, anyone can reset the keyboard to US by running
loadkeys -d. Very useful in case you are using too smart software that are
US-centered :-)

So I changed usr/share/rear/conf/default.conf to say:

     # files/dirs to copy as-is (with tar)
     COPY_AS_IS=( $CONFIG_DIR $SHARE_DIR $VAR_DIR /lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/defkeymap.map.gz )

doesn't look nice, but at least it works. There's probably a nicer way of
doing this, maybe even distribution-agnostic ? Should I introduce a new
script for this ?

PS The hint we got was from syslinux, we were surprised to find that on
the syslinux prompt we had a perfect BE keyboard, while we hadn't provided
syslinux with any BE keyboard mappings :)

Kind regards,